Computer Builds

Go down

Computer Builds

Post by Hot Pink Chocolate! on Fri May 31, 2013 7:43 pm

I've seen one of these threads in forums before and so I thought it would be cool to see one here. I'm getting a new computer very soon and here are the parts Razz

Case: Thermaltake Element G
PSU: Corsair Builder CX600 V2
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Mobo: ASUS 1155 P8P67 EVO REV 3.0 S/L
HDD: WD 2TB Green Desktop Hard Drive
Graphics card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory
Bluray ROM / DVD writer: LG BH16NS40.AUAR10B 16x SATA Internal BDRW Retail Kit
Mouse: Xenta Black Optical Scroll Mouse - USB
GUI: Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version

Tell me if you can find any cheaper, just as good parts or somewhere I can save money. Thanks Smile
Hot Pink Chocolate!
Turtle Rookie
Turtle Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Computer Builds

Post by Zegers on Fri May 31, 2013 8:15 pm

I believe that the Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (2x4) is 60.75? on Amazon, which is a pretty good deal, and I prefer Kingston memory to Corsair.
The card is quite good, I have a PNY GTX 660 Ti (I'm in the middle of building my PC) that I got for 230 bucks on Amazon, so that was one of the best deals I've ever seen on a card like that. There's also some pretty good deals, that I can share with you, however if you want me to give you my opinions and give you better prices it'll be much better to PM each other on something like Steam.
I would go personally with Windows 8 because there will most likely be support by Microsoft for that longer than Windows 7, and once the Service pack comes out for it, I'm sure they will have addressed most of the problems that people currently have with it.
The hard drive is great, I'm a fan of WD HDDs, but 2 TBs is quite a lot, and if you're just gaming, half of that would be plenty. And there's also the fact that your should keep SSDs in mind, they help load times and boots times by an extreme amount, but they are quite expensive, but I believe there is a Samsung SSD (120GB) on Amazon at the moment for less than 100 bucks which is quite a great deal for 120GB SSD.
The PSU is good, and that's one I would recommend myself.
Now with the Processor, there's a lot of different opinions, but I will most likely be getting an AMD FX-8350. I will give my main reason and a few supporting. One big reason is that the new gaming consoles will all be using 8-Core AMD CPUs therefore, in the near future more and more games should be being made to take advantage of more and more cores, which should hopefully get a noticeable boost on the AMD CPUs. The FX-8350 is also quite a lot cheaper than the 3570K, and anyone that tells you that the performance in gaming is noticeable is a liar, it really isn't. However, with high-end computation and video rendering stuff, the Intels do come out on top, so for an rig where you will be doing a lot of editing, go with the Intel, otherwise you just over-paying for similar performance. (my opinion) I stated my other argument already. AMD always has bang-for-your-buck. Some people will tell you that the money saved from the less power used by Intel CPUs makes a difference, but over the course of time that you will have the CPU, seeing as you would have paid less for the AMD, you will actually still have saved money over the Intel. It's all preference and for a gaming rig AMD is a great alternative.

Those would be my early statements for that rig, but as it stands it's still a damn good rig, but there are some ways you can save money and get the performance you want.

One last note: If you're getting the 3570K and not getting an aftermarket cooler, there's not much of a point. Unless you plan on getting an aftermarket cooler later on, overclocking the 3570K will be very limited with a stock cooler.

Turtle Warrior
Turtle Warrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hot Pink Chocolate! on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:00 am

Well okay I have taken into account your advice and made some changes, I'm already saving money Smile Do you know any good mouses and keyboards for relatively cheap prices, I don't have much more money to throw around and my current keyboard is near destruction. I decided to stick with the i5 because I am going to be doing a lot of video editing for YouTube videos after I get my new computer, although is the AMD enough to do that?

This is my revised list:
Case: Thermaltake Element G
PSU: Corsair Builder CX600 V2
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor
Mobo: ASUS 1155 P8P67 EVO REV 3.0 S/L
HDD: WD 1TB Green Desktop Hard Drive
Graphics card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti
RAM: Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 DDR3 XMS3 8GB Desktop Memory
Bluray ROM / DVD writer: LG BH16NS40.AUAR10B 16x SATA Internal BDRW Retail Kit
Mouse: Xenta Black Optical Scroll Mouse - USB
GUI: Microsoft Windows 8 64 bit OEM, WN7-00403, English Version
SSD: Samsung SSD
Hot Pink Chocolate!
Turtle Rookie
Turtle Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zegers on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:12 pm

I'll quickly address the CPU first. The AMD is enough to do that, and always will be, but the Intel will get it done faster, granted it's not INSANELY faster, but it is faster, I can link you a video with some of the video benchmarks that show that the high-end computations like SuperPi and some of the video editing benchmarks is faster, but not by all the much, it's up to you.

I also took a look at that case, and if that's the case you want that's fine, but I would blatantly say that that is too much if you want to save some money, I would recommend the NZXT Technologies Tempest 410, it's rather cheap and has extremely good air flow, and for the price, it's one of the best deals on the market.

Now, I see that you went down to 1TB, but you will want a 2TB or bigger for a lot of video editing, and just archiving all the videos.

As for the mouse and keyboard I'm not sure what the price for that mouse is as I cannot find it anywhere. Let me know what you can pay for a mouse and keyboard, and I'll do some digging.

The SSD is a good deal, however if you take the money from that and put it into a bigger hard-drive for editing that's probably a better idea, and some of it can also go towards a better mouse and keyboard.

Let me know how much money you can play with, and I'll do my best to get you the most out of what you need.

This is one of the best videos that shows the FX-8350 vs. the Intel i7 3770K vs. the Intel i5 3570K

That being said about the CPUs, I would still say that if you are doing a lot of video rendering and editing, the 3570K is a better choice, but it gaming performance will be the same as the 8350. I would also recommend you pick up a nice aftermarket cooler. I can give some good watercooling kits that are rather inexpensive and offer good cooling.

Turtle Warrior
Turtle Warrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hot Pink Chocolate! on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:46 pm

Well if I take out the SSD and put in the 2T hardrive then I have about £80 or so to spend of a keyboard and mouse. Any products you could advise me on, I really have no idea about watercooling systems or where I would put it Razz.
Hot Pink Chocolate!
Turtle Rookie
Turtle Rookie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zegers on Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:08 pm

lol, water cooling systems (with the NZXT Tempest 410) would most likely just mount to the exhaust on the top of the case. There are also some good heatsink coolers out there, but I'd have to take a bigger look into that.

As for the mouse and keyboard, so 80 pounds is about 120 dollars.
The Saitek Eclipse II is about 43 USD, so just under 30 GBP? I have personally used this keyboard and I can say that it's rather quiet and the buttons feel great.
The Razer Death Adder is one of the best gaming mice out there, and has a great DPI and software for 65 USD or just about 43 GBP. However, if you do a lot of MMO play, or like a lot of buttons on your mouse, I would highly recommend getting a Logitech G600 MMO Gaming mouse. It's a few dollars cheaper, and has 12 buttons that can be bound twice, by using the ring-finger button as a sort of control button.

Links to the peripherals:

Keyboard:
http://www.amazon.com/Saitek-Eclipse-Backlit-Keyboard-PK02AU/dp/B000H6AY6M/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1370120462&sr=8-11&keywords=gaming+keyboard

Mice:
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Deathadder-Infrared-Gaming-RZ01-00151400-R3/dp/B002Q4U5DK/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370120616&sr=1-13&keywords=gaming+mouse

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Gaming-Mouse-Black-910-002864/dp/B0086UK7IQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1370120759&sr=1-1&keywords=logitech+g600

As for the cooling, anything made by Noctua is the best for cooling/fan options. This is what I would recommend personally if you wish to overclock, this of course doesn't need to be purchased right away, but for installation purposes it's best to have a cooler installed right away, seeing as most aftermarket coolers require a backplate.

Cooler:
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Silent-Cooling-NH-U9B-SE2/dp/B0065SFEE8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1370121505&sr=8-5&keywords=noctua

Turtle Warrior
Turtle Warrior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zegers on Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:15 am

I suppose I'll give this thread some more attention and post the build that I will be getting.

Specs:
Case: NZXT Source 210 ELITE in White
PSU: Corsair Builder CX500 80 PLUS
CPU: AMD FX-8350 8-core AM3+ Black Edition
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
GPU: PNY GTX 660 Ti XLR8 Performance Edition
RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (2x4)
Optical Drive: Some random Samsung

Turtle Warrior
Turtle Warrior

View user profile